Friday, October 3, 2008

Pocket Change

You and a friend pass by a standard coin operated vending machine and you decide to get a candy bar. The price is US$0.95 but after checking your pockets you only have a dollar (US$1) and the machine only takes coins.

You turn to your friend and have this conversation.

You: Hey, do you have change for a dollar?
Friend: Let's see... I have 6 US coins but, although they add up to US$1.15, I can't break a dollar.
You: Huh? Can you make change for half a dollar?
Friend: No.
You: How about a quarter?
Friend: Nope. And before you ask I can't make change for a dime or nickel either.
You: Really? And these 6 coins are all US government coins currently in production?
Friend: Yes.
You: Well can you just put your coins into the vending machine and buy me the candy bar, and I'll pay you back?
Friend: Sorry, I'd like to but I can't with the coins I have.
What coins does your friend have?

1 comment: